Are you a North Carolina PT who needs to complete continuing education points? Complete the FSBPT Practice Review Tool (PRT) and receive 10 points for meeting the standard or 5 points for proof of completion toward your 30 points required for North Carolina PT licensure renewal!
How can the PRT help me?
• It is a resource created by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT) to assist you in assessing your ongoing competence as a physical therapist.
• It is an objective tool that can serve as the first step in developing a relevant and high-quality plan for your future continuing education and continuing competence activities.
• It offers guidance in selecting your future continuing competence and continuing education courses and activities.
• It helps you identify your practice strengths, review physical therapy practice fundamentals, and enhance your awareness of where you have opportunities for improvement.
• It provides you with immediate feedback in the form of a written report upon its completion.
What exactly is the PRT?
• It is a scenario-based, multiple-choice assessment of 125 questions emphasizing clinical application of content knowledge. Realistic case scenarios that describe clinical situations are presented for which you answer a series of related questions. Scenarios include the age, gender and presenting problem/current condition of a patient and may also include past medical history, physical therapy examination results, physical therapy interventions and other information. For an example of a PRT item, click here.
• It is a confidential scored assessment where the score is released directly and only to you.
• Scores are NOT sent to any state physical therapy licensing board.
• Two versions of the PRT are available: General Practice and Orthopedics.
• The PRT is only available to PTs and not to PTAs at this time.
• Once you’ve registered and paid for the PRT, you can schedule to take the PRT on any day and at any Prometric Center in the U.S. that is most convenient for you.
How do I receive credit towards my license renewal?
• By completing the PRT you earn 10 points for meeting the standard, or 5 points for proof of completion toward your 30 points required for North Carolina licensure renewal (click here for more information).
• Currently 12 other jurisdictions also accept completion of the PRT: Arizona, California, District of Columbia, Kansas, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Texas and West Virginia. Oklahoma and South Carolina will also accept it if pre-approved or on a case-by-case basis. For detailed descriptions of these and all other states’ continuing education and continuing competence requirements, register your physical therapy licenses with aPTitude – our FREE online continuing education and continuing competence recording and management system.
• You are issued your Completion Certificate immediately after completing the PRT; if you are audited or otherwise required to demonstrate proof of completing continuing education or continuing competence activities, this certificate can then be submitted to the North Carolina Board of Physical Therapy and to the boards for the states listed above (verify first with Oklahoma and South Carolina).